Based on the information you have been provided with during the 5 day presentation course, a major export company has approached your port with a proposal for the export of 10 million tonnes of coal per annum in the first three years increasing to 25,000,000 when in full production.
The exporter proposes constructing a new berth adjacent to the current port. The new berth will have a moving loading arm capable of loading 1,300 tonnes of coal per hour.
The exporter wishes to use large bulker ships greater than the current maximum size of vessel allowed to use your port.
You have been charged with the responsibility of carrying out a feasibility study to assess the options available for your port to facilitate the introduction of this new trade.
Currently your port handles vessels of 224m LOA 32.2m beam and maximum draft of 12.2m.
The new vessels proposed for your port will be 254m LOA 45m beam and with a draft of 15.5m and load approximately 150,000 tonnes of coal each shipment.
Your responsibility will be to analyse the ports current assets to establish what would be required to redesign these assets to accommodate this new trade and at the same time, to investigate alternatives which may offer a more cost effective option to the modification of your current assets.
The alternative option would have to take into consideration:
• the average weather conditions in the port which range from benign conditions in summer to severe conditions in winter. How will you protect the vessel while it is at the berth?
• Semi diurnal tides
• Soft sand bottom
• Channel length overall of 6km with 60°turn with a 1km radius of curvature
• The moderate cross currents experienced
• Unobstructed visibility of 10km
• Site is exposed to elements including waves. How will you protect the vessel while it is at the berth?
• Additional factor is that the fully laden vessel would depart the port at 7kn
• Shipping density must also take in to consideration the other part of the port which handles on average 3000 movements a year therefore there may be issues with access to the single channel to and from the berth
The exporters of the coal expect a 95% ship access to the facility. Assuming the vessels will arrive in port in ballast and sail from the port at maximum draft, you will have to calculate what is the minimum channel,
swing berth, and berth design that will be required to facilitate these vessels in a safe and efficient manner so as to conduct a year round operation allowing for maintenance down time adverse weather etc.
In carrying out this feasibility study you must take into consideration all potential regulatory approval processes required to carry out the development of the channels, swing basins and construction of the loading facility.
As part of the design process you must take into consideration all the external influences that will impact on the vessel while navigating the channel, the swing basin and while at the berth, and the controlling factors which would be put in place to manage these influences.
CORE POINTS THAT NEED TO BE ADDRESSED IN THE ASSIGNMENT
• Need to address the long period swell
• Need to address strong winds
• Need to address the protection of the berth from the elements
• Need to address issue of breaking mooring lines
• Need to address loading capability and rate
• Need to recognise delays due to berth occupancy
• Need to address all regulatory requirements
• Need to identify all service providers and options
• Need to address public perceptions
• Need to identify new technology options
• Need to contain an Introduction and Problem Statement
• Need to demonstrate a clear statement as to how the student carried out a detailed
Review of the Literature presented during the course of the programme
• Need to demonstrate the Method or Procedure applied to reach the final conclusions
Finally, upon receiving your report, management have asked you to “go back to the drawing board” and find ways to reduce the projected cost of the recommended design. You must then consider what options are available to you to assist you in reducing the cost and what accepted methodologies you would apply to sustain your findings.
Use the order calculator below and get ordering with essaygeek.com now! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.